Starting Solids Topic Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our Starting Solids Members community!

• Chocolate cake and raw apple

Posted by Nicole on January 5, 2024 at 6:46 pm

My LO had her first day at daycare today. When I picked her up this afternoon I was surprised to see her polishing of chocolate cake. They quickly reassured me that it was egg free as she is allergic and also that it was sugar free. So my only concern is the caffeine from the cocoa. It looked like chocolate sponge and was quite dark in colour but it had beetroot in it which would make it darker.

Would the amount of caffeine in chocolate sponge be so small it wouldn’t matter?

Secondly, when I went to visit the centre they were handing out slices of raw apple which were probably at least 5mm thick. Even to the 12-18 month olds. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don’t want to complain about things and be seen as anxious or anything but I was a bit surprised about both of these!

Jeanette replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Nicole

January 5, 2024 at 6:48 pm

I should have mentioned… my LO is 12 months old.

• Jeanette

Administrator
    January 9, 2024 at 10:51 am

Hi Nicole,

The raw apple would definitely concern me. Perhaps a gentle reminder to the centre voicing your concerns regarding the choking hazard and also suggest grated is a more appropriate way to serve for this age.

As for the chocolate cake. I guess it would depend on the circumstances. If this is an everyday menu item I’d probably be concerned. A lot of centres also make “chocolate” cake or treats from things that aren’t actually chocolate. I’d just bring it up with the centre in a respectful way and voice your concerns and see what they say.