Starting Solids Topic Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our Starting Solids Members community!

• Choosing bread

Posted by Beth on November 20, 2023 at 12:23 pm

Having read the “choosing bread” resource in the library, I know to look for lower sodium option (not easy!) and that toasting the bread reduces the risk of choking. I’m struggling to keep the bread “toasty” once I’ve added toppings (liver paste, white bean dip, avo etc), so it quickly breaks up once my 6 month old puts it into his mouth and gets claggy. Any tips to keep it toasty? He really enjoys the toast and the variety of toppings I put on it 🙂

Beth replied 9 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeanette

Administrator
    December 13, 2023 at 6:49 pm

Hi Beth! Apologies we missed this question! Are you still having trouble with the bread?

• Beth

December 13, 2023 at 7:28 pm

Hi Jeanette 🙂 no worries, busy time of year! I have found that letting the toasted bread cool before I add toppings is helping. My son now moves little bits of the toast around his mouth (that have come away from the big piece) and will also push pieces out of his mouth with his tongue!

I also take the piece away when it gets too soggy and give him a new one 🙂

Thank you