Starting Solids Topic Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our Starting Solids Members community!

• Moderate on food intake of toddler

Posted by Cheryl on February 5, 2024 at 9:21 pm

Hi Jeanette, appreciate your advice on food intake for toddler. My toddler is 15 months and she has 3 meals and 2 snacks with 2 bottles of cows milk in the afternoon and before bed.

I have read the article on building a positive relationship with food, and understand one of the key points is to Trust our Little ones on how much intake they should get.

My toddler cries these days after having her snacks wanting more (snacks are usually fruits like pear (2 slices) or blueberries (a generous handful)), and I would like to give her more however her caregiver while I am at work says that it might hinder with her other meals. If my toddler is of healthy weight limit should I allow for this or should I advocate to let my toddler have as much food as she wants?

Thank you from a confused mum.

Jeanette replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jeanette

Administrator
    March 12, 2024 at 8:07 am

We certainly don’t recommend limiting their food intake at all. If snack is just fruit you may want to consider adding a source of protein and fats to these snacks which may provide a bit more sustenance! Perhaps some yogurt or nut butter etc. As the grown up you are in charge of what foods get offered and what quantities are offered. Your little one is in charge of what she chooses to eat.