Starting Solids Topic Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our Starting Solids Members community!

• Trouble with 6 month old gag reflex

Posted by Sarah Jopling on April 8, 2024 at 7:03 pm

Hi! I’ve just started introducing solids to my freshly 6 month old, and I’m trialling a mix of a little BLW and some mashed foods too. He’s successfully had a little bit of roasted pumpkin (finger sized so not mashed up) and avocado, has chewed the end of a sourdough loaf which he loved and has had some smoother foods such as yoghurt and Weetabix, but I’m now finding that when i introduce a food that’s lumpier in texture he gags quite violently and projectile vomits (not just a cute little vomit, but with enough force to hit me if i’m sitting or standing opposite the high chair). It’s happened with mashed lasagna, steamed broccoli etc. Is this normal?! Should i go down a step to purees and give him time to adjust, or should i keep going and hope his gag reflex eases up a little soon? Thank you!

Jeanette replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • shruthi

April 10, 2024 at 1:23 pm

Following

• Jeanette

Administrator
    April 12, 2024 at 8:36 am

It can be so worrying for us when they gag like this! It is very normal to see gagging such as this with new textures at such a young age. I wouldn’t be concerned just yet. He is so young and it’s all completely new to him. If the gagging is happening with every mouthful I would pull back on that particular texture for now but certainly don’t let it deter you from trying again in a week or so.

If it persists over the coming months and doesn’t improve at all I would check in with the GP to see if you can get a referral to a speech pathologist however. As bubs grow the gag reflex moves back on the tongue and is less easily triggered so if this doesn’t occur it’s worth looking into it for peace of mind.